BEST RECIPE MAKEOVER
Your challenge as a team is to create a healthier and more creative version of the dish below Please provide the recipe and nutritional information of your dish. Also provide an attractive photo of the dish prepared from your recipe. Entry must be submitted by the deadline of February 24, 2015 at 11:59pm ET.
The panel of judges will choose the winning team. They will be looking for presentation, creativity and best use of cooking techniques and healthy substitutions! Winners will be announced later the same week.
BLUEBERRY FRENCH TOAST RECIPE
- 12 slices day-old bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 12 eggs, beaten 2 cups milk 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange half the bread cubes in the dish, and top with cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over cream cheese, and top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and syrup. Pour over the bread cubes. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the bread cube mixture from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cover, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, until center is firm and
surface is lightly browned.
- In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and water. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the remaining 1 cup blueberries.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, until the blueberries burst.
- Stir in the butter, and pour over the baked French toast.
Servings Per Recipe: 10
Amount Per Serving
Carbohydrates 51.9 g
Cholesterol 310 mg
Fat 24.8 g
Fiber .4 g
Protein 15.1 g
Sodium 451 mg